Thursday 6 August 2009

Christian Auge and Mare C

Back in May I saw a stumpy wing mast among the typical aluminium forest of spars. It belonged to a small catamaran with folding wings. One glance was enough to see that it was a serious sea-going boat. The man on board looked like he’d been at sea for some time so I invited him home for dinner.
Christian Auge has been sailing since he was twenty-two. Searching for his first sailing boat he drove across Asia and then flew to the Marquesas where he fell in with the unlikely crew of a pilot, a call girl and a guru aboard their trimaran. When relations among the trio broke up they gave Christian the boat. He sailed 400 nm to the Tuamoas where he worked trading between the islands. He met Bernard Moitessier and became friends, giving Bernard his first taste of multihull sailing. Of Moitessier Christian told me that you couldn’t hope for a better crew, that, for all his experience, he would never presume to interfere with how you sailed your boat, he was always open, humble and willing.

Christian worked his way around the world on boats and began his own career designing and building with the Mike Birch team in New Bedford for the 1976 OSTAR. In 40 years on the sea he has sailed some 250,000 miles and is now designing a 28-foot proa with a rotating rig in which he hopes to take part in the next Jester Challenge.

Deciding that he was spending too much time in front of the computer he prepared an early summer cruise on the ply and epoxy catamaran Mare C. A friend had designed and built the boat for speed but Christian cut two metres off the mast to achieve a more cruiser friendly sail area. He set off in the 5.5 metre catamaran with 11square metres of mainsail and six of jib. The whacking great mast added another 2.5 square metres and gave the boat a cruising speed of up to 15 knots. He sailed from Sète in France and planned to continue non-stop down the Mediterranean to Algiers. However, he met calms and contrary head winds. Having no auxiliary power he could do nothing but wait for the weather to become more favourable. He stopped at Ibiza and then, with insufficient time to make the African continent, decided to head back to France.

On the way back the weather again failed him and after four days at sea with only two hours sleep and with his knee playing up he decided to stop at Torredembarra to find some medication.

I was amazed by Christian’s ability at 62 to endure the discomforts of long hours on a small boat. He had no mattress or boat tent and generally just slept on the deck in his wet weather gear. He lived on a Spartan diet of dried fruit and nuts, tinned sardines and roll ups.

We looked over Onawind Blue together, it was interesting to compare the two boats, OB and Mare C were completely different concepts, however OB was about to embark on a similar cruise. Conceivably Mare C could have made the 140 mile passage from Ibiza in 14 to 15 hours at an average of 10 knots. OB could have done the same in 48 hours at her stately average of 3 knots. In the event, however, OB also took four days from Ibiza to Torredembarra including a rest day.

Christian liked OB and was impressed by the build quality (though of course I distracted him when his eyes wandered to the dodgy bits) and reckoned that she would be perfect for such a cruise. This thumbs up from an experienced sailor boosted my confidence enormously —I’d been having grave doubts. Meeting Christian was a turning point. He made it sound as if anyone could sail offshore in a small engineless boat incurring less risk that they would by driving up the motorway. The OB cruise was on again.

A few days later the wind came fair and he set off to sail non-stop to France. I watched him through binos from the beach. Mare C was doing about six knots on a light southerly, Christian was leaning on a wing rolling a cigarette. Suddenly I couldn’t wait to get going.


bowsprite said...

"The man on board looked like he’d been at sea for some time so I invited him home for dinner."

Ah, thank you! this is great. So nice to know there are people who will do things like this. What a story.

And, a pilot, a call girl and a guru went to sea...what a story there...!

Suso da Moura said...

Hola Ben, soy Suso, el de la dorna Tamariua. Como mostraste tanto interés en los planos de planta, alzado y cuadernas de mi camiseta, te envío el enlace con la página modelismonaval que los tiene publicados en un "fichero ZIP con todos los planos para descargar".
Buen viento Suso

Viagra Online said...

what a nice story Ben. One of my dreams is to live near the ocean or on a boat like the one I saw in the picture you posted here with the story, it would be awesome!

Justin Smith said...

I never met christian Auge but i did end up buying the trimaran he had inherited in the Marquases , I had her till she was lost in a cyclone in Port Vila 1987 , would dig to meet him , i will be in France next week . Most probably saw him with mike birch in the early eightys in La Rochelle but would not have recognised him .

Anonymous said...

Is this the Christian Auge that capsized his trimaran "Gyrin" southeast of Bermuda January 31, 1979?

Ben said...

Yes, it is the same Christian Auge, I believe he ended up sitting on the upturned hull while his wife was trapped inside, and considerably warmer for it. When I last saw him in 2011 he told me another amazing story, in his quiet, modest way: In Polynesia a friend was swimming back to the boat, as he approached Christian, on board, saw a shark making to attack, he dived into the water and together they beat the shark off. That sort of story would make front page news today.

Anonymous said...

I was the radio operator on the P-3 aircraft that picked up his distress signal and found his capsized sailboat.

Bruno said...

Just to let you know that Christian died a few weeks ago in the South of France.
March 2017

Ben said...

Thanks for letting me know bruno. Christian will be fondly remembered.