I cut out the skeg first thing this morning then began the preparations for glassing the sole. The cloth wasn’t quite wide enough so I cut some strips to fit the full beam, tidied up and organised the relevant tools. I was nervous about the whole operation and though eager to start waited until I definitely had several free hours to hand. Maybe I am learning something.
As I was spreading epoxy on the bottom a couple I hadn’t seen for a year turned up with their four nippers and a dog. I would recommend that anyone feeling lonely or in need of a little human company mix up some epoxy. You’ll be impressed by the results. It was good to see these old friends though our conversation was necessarily brief and somewhat garbled on my part as I was not only rather nervous about running out of time with the epoxy and restraining my own dog, who’d taken a dislike to my visitor’s mutt, but also talking through a large face mask. When Onawind Blue is built I shall award myself an LL.B. in Sod’s law.
The rest of the day went smoothly enough, even if the evening meal was rather late, I glassed the sole making good use of a squeegee and using a minimum of epoxy.
The interrupted coat.
Laying up the glass cloth.