Saturday 23 December 2006

Beach Buddies.


The light Trow will be a head turner, her only competition round here will be these sad old girls.

This is the local sailing club. There’s a couple of vaurien 420s three 350s, six optimists in poor condition and about 8 Hobby Cats, the rest (about 50) are all motorboats. This Rodman 500 is one of the most popular boats on these waters.

Here’s the stern post and mizzen step, there’s still a slight curve to work into the base but I’m not entirely sure how to go about it so I’ll leave it for the time being. Soon I’ll have a few pieces ready for gluing and laminating. From what I’ve read working with epoxy sounds relatively straightforward so why am I feeling so nervous about it?

The main mast step is about done but again needs a gentle curve along the bottom.

Some decent sized waves rolled up this week.

My neighbour and fellow beach bum scores a greeny. Trawlers out of Tarragona on the horizon.


1 comment:

Baddaddy said...

Stitch the panels together, which will create your shape, then trim the assembly using whatever comes to hand, which might be a planer, a big chisel or a Surform. Then attach and glue...

One thing I would say is that you're meant to s&g a gusset between the two main components, both at the stern and stem. I think the drawing shows the detail, at least approximately - the size is far from crucial, so I'd make it up from what's left when you cut out the panels.

If you have any doubts, do ring or email.

Gav