Monday 12 October 2015

Another fishy tale



The heavy shorebreak ground out a plodding hymn to monotony.

I walked along the beach my mind flicking restlessly over various topics—the political conversation that had dominated lunch and had taken the bite out of the paella, the sailing of the Shtandart from Tarragona and with it my childish pipe-dream of embarking (they were looking for crew to sail to Monaco); the fickle nature of creative satisfaction, it's value in life's equation and whether it can be substituted by hard cash; how the sunset, a lurid smear across the western sky, had briefly swept petty ponderings under the carpet, and how rapidly the same had returned with the sun below the horizon; and finally, I swear, what I might eat once home.

In the half light one wave, larger than the herd, crashed onto the sand sending a flood of spumy water up the beach, washing round my ankles and filling my turn ups. The dog nimbly bounced across the strand keeping to the dry. Water receded, sucking at my soles, leaving the beach glistening darkly. And suddenly on the black sand flickering stars appeared, flashing silver and flipping and flapping. I was surrounded by anchovies. My first thought was 'Dinner!' and I knelt to pick them up but then, having gathered a handful, I threw them back into the waves. The fish were frantic and I franticly returned them to the water. They back-flipped out of my hands and I crawled across the wet sand to pick them up again and return them to whence they came. The scene was biblical. Their eyes gazed unblinkingly and their mouths gasped airlessly and their firm little bodies glinted as they arched back into the waves. Eventually the remaining fish on the beach stopped moving and my thoughts turned back to dinner. I harvested the silver ingots and was forced to store them in my shirt pocket as they slid from my overloaded palm.


At home in the light their fresh brilliance continued to amaze. They hadn't been dead 15 minutes. I rinsed them, floured them, salt'n'peppered 'em and dunked them in hot olive oil where they bucked and twisted for a moment before turning crispy and golden. Parsley, lemon, a beer and I stood in the kitchen popping the anchovies into my mouth. At first their taste was all that I expected but then there was an unexpected, unpleasant crunch. Of course, those death throes at the water's edge, all that gasping, they'd filled themselves with sand.

photo courtesy of My Kitchen in Spain
.

10 comments:

Chris Partridge said...

The grit in life's anchovies, eh?
Great stuff.

Ben said...

Thanks Chris.

Unknown said...

Among those posts I've seen, this is the most particular one, and I think the blogger must have spent lots of time on it, thank you so much!

deck flooring supplier in india

Unknown said...

Hi Ben
You have not posted for a while. Is everything OK. I love this site ever since I bought your book.
It brings back so many happy memories from the mid 70s when my wife and I spent summers in your part of the world. Sadly our own boat has not moved for a year due to the return of my wife's illness.
Kindest regards ChrisB

Ben said...

Thank you ChrisB, everything IS ok. Life takes many twists and turns and although I'm in good health and actually working on the sea I have other writing projects and no time to sail my beloved OB. Whether this blog will spring back to life I don't know but I hope you can continue to dip into the book or the weblog for a sniff of just how wonderful it is to sail a small homebuilt boat on the, relatively, wide Mediterranean sea.
All the best,
Ben

(And thanks to all my other well-wishers for their continued thoughts and support.)

Anonymous said...

Hello Ben,
Good to hear you are doing well and working at sea. Will be looking forward your next writing project..

Fair Winds

Joe

Ben said...

Nice to hear from you Joe, the Rietveld chair still ain't made but I cherish the plans and keep them inside the Dierking book, also cherished.

All the best

Ben

Stephine George said...

PERFECT NATURAL HERBS AND VEGANS CURE FOR Herpes 1&2 THAT WORK FAST WITHIN 14 DAYS WITH DR ELINFOH HERBAL MEDICINE, I saw so many testimonies about Dr ELINFOH a great HERBAL DOCTOR that will help you CURE and give you the rightful health to live a joyful life, i didn't believe it at first, but as the pain got worsen and my life was at risk after using lots of ARV drugs from the hospital and no changes so i decided to give a try to Dr Elinfoh I contacted him also and told him i want a cure for Herpes , he gave me advice on what i must do and he deliver it to me in my home address i gave him and i got the medicine which i use according to his instruction, and today i must say I am so grateful to this man Dr Elinfoh for curing me from Herpes and for restoring me back to my normal health and a sound life and i am making this known to every one out there who have been trying all day to be cured from Herpes or any sickness should not waste more time just contact him with his details below, believe me this is the only way to get cured from Hepres , this is the real solution we all have been searching for. Do not waste more time contacting him today for you can also leave a sound and happy life. contact info below. Email: (drelinfohherbalhome@gmail.com ) or WhatsApp or Call him on: +2348110492072. and you can as well contact him on other issues you are having like*HEPATITIS B*DIABETICS*CANCER*ALS*HERPES*BODY REDUCTION*BREAST ENLARGEMENT*FIBROD*CANCER*PREGNANCY MISCARRIAGE*Relationship issues etc.. ** Neoplasms*Cardiovascular Disease (CVD)
*Chronic Respiratory Diseases
* Mental and Behavioral Disorders
*Alzheimer’s Disease
Email: (drelinfohherbalhome@gmail.com).    
Via whatsapp +2348110492072. I pray God also blesses you with your heart's desire as you get in touch with Dr Elinfoh.

urgent loan said...

Do you need Finance? Are you looking for Finance? Are you looking for finance to enlarge your business? We help individuals and companies to obtain finance for business expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get finance at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this finance for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via (financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com) whats-App +918929509036 Dr James Eric Finance Pvt Ltd Thanks

Lisa oney said...

I want to appreciate Dr Uromi for getting me cured from Herpes Virus. It was 4 years of battle with lots of failed attempts to get myself cured until I met this amazing man Dr Uromi .3 weeks after taking the herbal treatment he prepared for me , i got cured. He is specialized in treatment of Herpes, Genital warts,Cancers, HIV, HPV, Diabetes, hepatitis etc WhatsApp:- +2349021374574. Or Email:- druromiherbalhome@gmail.com.