Monday, 12 May 2008
Still not done
I can’t believe how long it’s taking to get the spars and OB ready. If I’d built the boat at this rate we’d still be building now. I admit we’ve been rather held up by the weather which came crashing onto the scene just as I’d finished applying the first coat of varnish to the deck and spars. Some said I should have checked the forecast but I reckon it would have happened anyway. Sod just loves laying down his law.
Two days of torrential rain and tarpaulin-shredding wind followed with broad-shouldered rollers crashing over the beach, through the gaps in the dunes, filling the streets and gardens in the neighbourhood and leaving the boats, at the Club Nautico on the beach, all a-hoo. Unfortunately a new drainage system was recently installed so these storms don’t have such a dramatic impact—there’s no severe flooding, which I rather miss.
Then two days of excellent windsurfing conditions while the boat dried out and today we’re back in business sanding and fixing bits and bobs. I wasted a fair amount of time re-working the mast steps so that the masts were perpendicular to the deck. It wasn’t until I achieved a right angle with the deck on both the main and mizzen that I realised that the masts had been fine as they were—perpendicular to the waterline. In their new positions they looked quite peculiar; the main raked aft and the mizzen forward, of course when they’re perpendicular to the waterline the masts are parallel to each other and I’m pretty sure that’s how they should be.
If I can manage to refrain from exploring other misguided avenues of boat design, touch wood, we’ll be on the water with our new sails by the weekend.